Tuesday, February 28, 2012

out of the corner of my eye i think i see you standing outside

The chutney, above, is one of the delicacies I took to our Mad Hatter's Tea and Sketching Party back in January. Inspired by, my drawing buddy, Lynne Chapman's work it was created with colour pencil alone. I'm amazed by the way she uses this medium, from the depth of colour to textures she achieves. Now I often use colour pencil but it's always with other media, whether that be ink pens or ballpoints. But, here, I thought I'd challenge myself to make a drawing purely with colour pencil. As the great Judge Judy says everyday should be a learning experience. I'm quite happy with it but I'm not sure colour pencil (alone) is for me. I just love the impact and intensity you get with inks. So, I guess that's what I learnt; I love ink!

And, as promised, below is the recipe for Eyeball Chutney. I'm kind of kicking myself because I intended to add a spoon to the jar in the drawing. I felt that would have completed the composition. Who knows I might try to worm one in there yet.

6 comments:

MrCachet said...

You each have your own magic. I don't think you need any of hers!

Beth said...

Sadly we don't have a good sweet shop here in Grand Rapids, so I have no outlet for eyeballs or brain bits. But it looks yummy. Sort of. For Halloween. Gorgeous drawing, as usual.

Unknown said...

Eyeballs are always good for a shudder!

Aparna-Appie! said...

yummy :P!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, guys.
Glad you weren't too grossed out!

Unknown said...

Not sure I will be trying the recipe, I'm a Bransten Pickle fan, but love the illustration.

I love ink tooo!