Wednesday, February 22, 2012

nothing without a woman or a girl

Last night saw the second Dr Sketchy Sheffield event and, again, we were treated to some fabulous models and performances. For those not in the know Dr. Sketchy is an alternative life drawing class using Burlesque lovelies as models.

After rushing to get there I was thrown straight into a few poses before I had time to get my breath back. I always find it takes time to get settled in so I start with some warm up sketches and lots of blind contour drawings, like the ones below.

These are great events and I do hope that the Sheffield one will flourish. I'd recommend it to anyone in the city who loves drawing. Come along! Not only to you get to draw these gorgeous girlies whilst listening to scratchy old vintage 1920s gramophone classics, but there are prizes to be won too.

I won one for my drawing of the divine Fanny Divine at the top of this post. Bonus!

11 comments:

Kaitlyn S. C Hatch said...

Love the 'staches!

bjw_draw said...

excellent, i can see the fun in the evening in the lines.

Unknown said...

These are fantastic!
I remember when you told that it was impossible for you to sketch from life, ha!

Jennifer McLean said...

So spectacular, Andrea. I especially love the last drawing of mustache man, lol.
Jenn of www.JustAddWaterSilly.com

Julie Clay Illustration said...

These look fab Andrea, quite an evening that must be.Some strange looking characters there?

melydia said...

Completely off topic, but I received my Etsy order from your store today, and I am blown away by the high quality of these zines. Can't wait to pore over them later. Thanks! :)

pedalpower said...

Love it! What a neat drawing event.

Caroline B said...

What a fantastic idea - wish they did that aoround here. Love the sketches!

T. Roger Thomas said...

But photographs are my preferred method of capturing real life images

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, so much folks.

Melydia, I'm so glad you like them. I really dont mind ou going off topic with such a lovely comment. Ta!

Caroline, you'd be surprised. they seem to be popping up all around the country these days. Well worth travelling a little distance for, too!

Cheers, my dears.

Unknown said...

Great drawings.

I was able to go to a Dr Sketchy's a few summers back and had a great laugh.