Saturday, November 25, 2006

EDM#48 Draw something that represents a New Years Resolution

Ok, so it may be a bit early to start planning New Years Resolutions but since I started this blog my artwork has been on my mind ALL the time. I've always wanted to illustrate children's books - just somewhere along the way I forgot. Or, more honestly, I never thought that I could. Over the last few years though I've started thinking differently, started believing. After all if you don't believe in fairies then they don't exist.

I don't know why I draw the things I do, I don't have any idea where the characters come from, they just refuse to go away. All the above books are in various stages of completion - some have pictures, some have stories, some both. Two are at the stage where they can be sent out to prospective publishers and that's what I'll be doing in the New Year. And, I'll persevere; because now I believe again.

(I draw this picture in every one of my sketchbooks - just to remind myself of the goal - so it seems fitting that it makes an appearance in this 'sketchbook' too.)

8 comments:

Teri said...

These are absolutely amazing! And you have them started-that's the hardest part.

Go for it with all your heart now!! They are sure to succeed because they are so adorable.

And please keep us posted on your progress.

Anonymous said...

Oh Andrea -- how right you are about persevering. Keep that picture of those books stuck on the wall so you don't lose track of your dreams.
I have a magnet on my fridge (yeah i know, it's a little tacky) that reads "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined!". Blogging and putting my drawings out there has put me on that track, which i was denying myself before. For God knows what reason.

You have no idea how soon you are going to see the Morris Minors! I was smiling while drawing them today, and one of them has your initials on its licence plate!! It's all because of your influence!

And about Margaret Thatcher: it was 1987, my first day of English class ever, and we had to choose our identity. Most of my friends went for names like "Jennifer" "Sandy" and "Sally" -- and i opted for the ever so sexy name of Margaret Thatcher. :-)

Anonymous said...

Go for it! Take this as an order for the first one that's coming out. Can I have it signed then?

Anthony said...

I would buy your work in a heartbeat. Your drawings are so beautiful and quiet and playful. Keep us posted on how this goes, please!

littlemithi said...

I'm looking forward to the publication of "Amongst Butterflies"!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Everyone thanks so much for your lovely and supportive comments. I have been saying and thinking about doing this for so long - and now it's about getting off my bum and doing something about it!

France, i know exactly what you mean;I too have ben denying myself for so long. Somebody once suggested to me that rather than a 'fear of failure' for me it was more a case of 'fear of success' - that really resonated with me. But slowly I am beginning to realise that you can make things happen - we all can.

I am still laughing over the Margaret Thatcher thing, how long did you have to go by that name for??

As for the Morris Minors, well, I am just so stunned. After a crappy day at work (working on Sundays is crappy enough) to find these pics on your blog has just made my day, week, year!

Thanks everyone again, I am very touched by all your comments. Cheerios!

Pedro said...

Thanks for the visits and comments.
Some years ago we walked the first part of Penine Way, from Edale to Malham. I miss this wonderfull trail and still want to walk the rest of it. Recently I found a sketchbook from this walk and so I posted the whole of the drawings. Now I have no more to post.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks for visiting too Pedro.
I really enjoyed your Penine sketches and I recognised the church at Hope. I did some when I was in Portugal last year - I don't think I'll be posting any though!cheers!