Monday, September 03, 2012

turns my whole world misty blue

An update on this commissioned drawing here. I started step-by-stepping it a little while back (you can see the first stage in this post) but due to some urgent deadlines it has progressed very slowly.
On a personal level this really is one of the most important drawings I've ever made. Probably THE most important. The commissioner (is that even a word?) gave me free reign over everything - subject, size, materials.
Whilst that's the best kind of commission it does present you with a different kind of pressure from working to a brief. But, it also shows an amount of trust that touches me deeply. This image just came into my head as I drove home the day it was commissioned. I have no idea where from. And, I LOVE that.
I've not only been step-by-stepping it here, but also with the person who I am painting it for. I take it to show him at various stages and we talk about it and what it means to both of us. He said it reminded him of Tennyson's The Lady of Shalott (which again touches me no end). Not only do I love that poem but my all time favourite painting is Waterhouse's version - SEE.
When this image popped into my head it came fully formed. I knew exactly how I wanted it to look. I wanted to create a piece of work that paid the same kind of attention to detail that the Pre Raphaelite's would have. It's a big piece too; over A2 in size. Which is why it's difficult for me to share with you - excuse the rubbish photographs.
The deadline for this piece is the 17th of September, when it needs to be finished and framed. So, basically what I'm looking at is two weeks, whilst working the day job and other illustration jobs, to create my Pre Raphaelite masterpiece.

No, need really. I'll say it to myself; good luck with that!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only four toes?

Kaitlyn S. C Hatch said...

There is plenty of time. As much time as you are willing to make.

Looks amazing.

rental mobil jakarta said...

Very nice sketch, thanks for sharing.

Caroline B said...

I love that poem & painting too which introduced me at a very young age to Tennyson and the Pre-Raphaelite painters, still firm favourites.
All I have to say to you now is - sleep is for wimps and jolly good luck getting it all done. I'm sure you will!

mijbil said...

I have a deadline for the very same day - only, it's about a boring business plan, not a piece of art, sadly. Good luck and big hugs from an Italian girl in Sweden! :)

mijbil said...

I have a deadline for the very same day - only, it's about a boring business plan, not a piece of art, sadly. Good luck and big hugs from an Italian girl in Sweden! :)

Emily said...

I knew that you love Flaming June (I used to have a poster of it on my wall), but I had absolutely no idea that you were so into the pre-raphealites! Love it. Love your the progress so far. xxxx #september

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, guys.

Only four toes.
Em, yes, BIG Pre raphaelite fan. Oh, and don't mention #september! It's not going so well.

Cheers, everyone. More updates soon. I hope!

Sarah Melling said...

SO beautiful...can't wait to see the finished piece!

jessica said...

I love the subtle color, Andrea!

Sergio DS said...

Lovely, it´s delicious.