Monday, June 18, 2012

up the shambles

Here's another from a recent sketchcrawl in Chesterfield. It did not take place at night. It was just that the sketch was looking a bit bland, a bit empty, so I kept playing with it. I started with the idea of a dark sky and then decided on some colour. I'm not sure that it works - but you'll never know if you don't try. The green light looks like some ghostly apparition. And, as I found out, when doing the research on the Royal Oak (Chesterfield's oldest pub), there are actually ghost walks held around the The Shambles' ancient narrow streets. So, it seems, it's quite appropriate.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This has the look of a Tim Burton film; all dark and spooky. I like it very much.

I expect you already know that any place called a shambles was where animals were butchered to sell? This is why most streets of this name have a central dip or gulley; for the blood to run away! Yuck.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Ah, Bella, I didn't know that but it makes sense now. The oldest pub (in the drawing) had been a butchers, as well as an inn, in the past. And yes; Yuck!

Thanks.

Maxi said...

very good as usual.. and seems logical.. a little bit of horror vacui deserves its ghost.. no ?

Kaitlyn S. C Hatch said...

Love it. Really emotive.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you guys!