Wednesday, July 16, 2014

i've been waiting for you

Okay, so these may not be the greatest sketchbook pages. They're not going to set the world alight, but, I just needed to shout about the fact that I went to see Neil Young on Sunday!!! Damn, I love that man. He's the most inspirational artist to me. So, we may work in very different fields but how he continues moving on and changing creatively is so very inspiring. I wish I were that brave.

 Above is the inner cover of the little Moleskine sketchbook that I took with me. I drew it as the arena was filling up. And, I drew it over the page where I created THIS VIDEO (the one that shows you how to write your name!). I cannot leave a blank space alone. I just can't stop fiddling.

 I'm often asked about what I do if a page in a sketchbook 'goes wrong'. My answer is usually 'collage', but it's also where a good quote or lyric comes in handy. The page above didn't so much 'go wrong' but the girl I was drawing moved away, just as I got my pens going, so I was left with just a few squiggles. You can see them behind these Neil Young lyrics; behind the top two lines on the right hand page.

 Anyway, you know what? Not every sketchbook page should set the world alight or be all singing and dancing. In my opinion. To me the unremarkable, quiet little pages act as a comma or a pause in a book. Some time for a brief reflection. A page to get your breathe back before you dive back in.

And, the lyrics and quotes; a great place to practice your handwriting. Or better still, make up a whole new kinda handwriting.

5 comments:

dinahmow said...

Great work again, Andrea. I've got a whole LOT of scribbled-over pages! Oh, I also have Young envy...

Polly Birchall said...

It great listening to the thoughts in your head and seeing what comes out on the paper.

Kay said...

Looking forward to your Sketchbook Skool Klass. You are truly an inspiration - thx for sharing your art with us.

Pilgrim said...

I really admire Neil Young for the way he's cared for his son with disabilities, over the years, a great father.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, guys. Just a couple of ideas of what to do with those pages that we all have in our skethcbooks. Looking forward to seeing some of you in klass.