Wednesday, May 07, 2014

cupid stunts

On Saturday night I went to sketch a Vaudeville extravaganza in the gorgeous Art Deco Library Theatre in Sheffield, called 'The Velvet Burlesque presents Cupid Stunts'. The show was all down to the sheer hard work and creativity of my Dr Sketchy partner, Burlesque teacher and performer, Lara Gothique.

I sketched the whole show, from beginning to end.
I sketched from before the doors opened...
 To the audience members arriving...
Some of them dressed to the nines...
 I sketched all the amazing acts. From fabulous Burlesque...
to a Victorian strongman.
And, I also sketched all those unexpected moments, that didn't go quite to plan, in between... 
 Plus, I sketched the audience's reaction to those moments...
 
I've wanted to sketch a whole show like this for a while. It's fast furious drawing. These are just a fraction of the sketches I made. Not bad for, basically, drawing in the dark.
 
Next time I'd like to venture backstage and draw the build up to the show too. Really get amongst the sequins and feathers. What do you think, Lara?

4 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

These are quite amazing. I love every one of them. Clever you.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, so much Polly. I didn't think I had any good sketches of the evening, but then I came home and found I actually had quite a lot (of not too bad ones)!

Rebecca Doane said...

Looks like loads of fun sketching!

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

oh wow! Amazing sketches! How funny! And you caught his reaction so well!!!