Friday, November 30, 2012

you've come a long way baby

When I began my first travel themed journal I filled it with the souvenirs I'd brought from my trips. Because back then I would never draw in front of people, and so I could draw the souvenirs from the privacy of my own home. In fact, when I made my second little zine I wrote inside "I am a reluctant public sketcher. Actually, that is a big fat understatement. The thought of drawing in public fills me with horror". That was about three years ago.

 And, here I am today. drawing on planes, and in airports, cafes, parks and streets. I made the sketches, above, on the way back from France. I was sat with a really nice French guy who watched me draw through the whole flight. He commented on my sketches and even suggested the passengers who I should draw. The guy who is asleep in the middle of the page was looking over my shoulder at what I was doing (when he'd woken up, obviously!) and the flight attendant came over to take a look. I didn't mind. At all.

 I don't know what has changed in a relatively short space of time. I'm certain it's not one thing. Sure, my confidence has grown and I worry less that people will think my work is rubbish. When I reflect on how far I've come it inspires me to keep on going. And, to keep pushing myself in directions that I never thought I'd go. Roads I never thought I'd travel down. Learning as much as I can to become the best illustrator that I can be. 'Cos, I love drawing. It's as simple as that really; I just love drawing.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Yay, Andrea! I'm so glad!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Ana said...

I guess it's not only a matter of confidence, but also of letting your art and your love for it grow in a way that you can't help drawing no matter where you are. Makes me think of how different those drawings may be if those people hadn't been involved in the process.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Ana said...

I guess it's not only a matter of confidence, but also of letting your art and your love for it grow in a way that you can't help drawing no matter where you are. Makes me think of how different those drawings may be if those people hadn't been involved in the process.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Good for you for being so brave and forging ahead even when it wasn't comfortable!

1:15 AM  
Blogger Genine Carvalheira said...

Congratulations Andrea!
What a sense of freedom,no?
Fantastic portraits you've got.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Sue Pownall said...

Lovely sketches.

I think groups like Urban Sketchers and participating in SketchCrawls has helped my confidence for drawing in public.

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Mariana said...

wow. well done, love the drawings. I'm still horrified of drawing in public but perhaps one day ...

6:01 PM  
Blogger Jenea said...

Hi Andrea! My name is Jenea and I am Sketch Illustrator too! I really like your greats and funny sketches, BUT MORE i APPRECIATE YOUR ENTHUSIASM!!! It's very important to work with big pleasure! Sincerely to say, sometimes I am worry about people who saw that I draw him, but i think it is no big problem - because with time this fear will pass!

9:26 PM  
Blogger JS said...

Wow, your sketches are fantastic- I can't wait to have that kind of confidence (both in terms of drawing style and public sketching!). Your travel journal is just amazing!

(http://w-nder.blogspot.co.uk- if you have any tips on my sketches-I'd be incredibly greatful!)

12:46 AM  
Blogger lee kline said...

Your story about drawing in public is inspirational. Everyone who is a reluctant public "draw-er" should read your comments and take heart.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous gutscheine zum ausdrucken said...

sehr guter Beitrag

10:39 AM  
Anonymous mw said...

love it. good work

i think you'd like my artwork...
http://funnymanwithdogeyesandahangingtongue.blogspot.com/

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Adam (Attacking Paper) said...

Wish I had your confidence to pack a page so full of sketches as you do. Great blog!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Lay Hoon said...

such lovely and lively

12:17 AM  
Blogger Lay Hoon said...

such lovely and lively

12:17 AM  
OpenID elkedagtelt said...

Great blog and wonderfull drawings. I do not have the patience I see in your drawings. I wrote about drawing in public on my blog two years ago. http://elkedagtelt.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/will-the-person-i-draw-not-be-annoyed-that-i-stare-at-her/

12:11 PM  
Blogger anopensketchbook said...

Andrea-it is so cool to see how this shyness has dissipated. I still feel comfortable drawing in public, but when someone is next to me watching...and making suggestions...I tend to freeze up. I've got to give you props for that!

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Paintings said...

Just found your blog and hope to see more great stuff from you this year!

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Paintings said...

I am greatly touched by your arts.

9:06 AM  
Blogger andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you so much, everyone. And, sorry for dropping off the face of the earth with such little notice. I appreciate your visits more than you know.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Pippa said...

You're an inspiration to me, too. Having seen how your style has evolved over the last 5(?) years of following your blog, I've also been inspired in a way I hadn't really encountered before. Previously, I'd see great artists and forget that they had to work and practise to get there. When I started following your blog, I was blown away by your work and yet, each piece seemed to get better and better (and they still do!). I love the new free-ness in your drawings. Seeing your work inspires me to draw. Thank you for that.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.