Wednesday, October 04, 2006

he's a real fungi


I really like drawing fungi (yes, I worry about myself sometimes). You can really take liberties when drawing toadstools and fungi. The thing about fungi is they come in so many weird shapes and colours, that no matter how much you exaggerate the image it still is plausible. In the world of fungi anything goes.

It doesn't just stop at its appearance either, the names are pretty mad too; Fairy Ring Champignon, Wood Hedgehog, Weeping Bolete, Death Cap, Destroying Angel, Satan's Bolete to name but a few. And, I'm betting the guys who named them were partial to a few of the Magic variety.

Ink is one of my favourite mediums and it just seems to work so perfectly with this subject - and I believe that some inks are actually fungi based. I am certainly no expert on fungi, I just like to make up my own. I have named this one Old Jack's Cap.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could not see the bigger version, there is an error message, but did you draw him with ink? He's beautiful!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Yes Renate I've noticed that there is an error with enlarging this image. Maybe I'll see if anyone in the group can help. And yes this toadstool was drawn and painted with inks. Thank you.

suzanne cabrera said...

I know what you mean about drawing organic objects....you can really take creative license. I find this very refreshing! What type of ink do you use? The color is beautiful.

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Lovely mushroom...love the color too...bytw I would try reposting...sometimes blogger just nuts up?!:>

Tabitha Dial said...

This is beautiful. I have a friend who loves fungi. He pointed out all sorts of mushrooms when we visited his family's mountain home last month. Fun!

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

This is lovely! Perhaps I should pay closer attention to the mushrooms sprouting in my backyard.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Some of the ink that I used in this picture is Windsor & Newton - but I think that they are a British company so I don't know whether they are available in the States(??). I get those little pots which I think are 'drawing inks'. But to tell you the truth I use any old products! I also used some really cheap cartridges in this too.

Anonymous said...

Like your work, quite refreshing and different.

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous. I am staring at it, somewhat puzzled by the fact it was made with ink. Goodness.

Jana Bouc said...

Definitely a magical mushroom. Just lovely and I can't figure out how you did that in ink--I don't see any cross-hatching. Is it painted with a brush rather than a pen?

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Yes, I think I forgot to mention that but it is indeed painted rather than drawn. I used a thick board to paint onto; which means I could add layer after layer and it just seems to soak up the ink. Thanks for all the lovely comments!