Friday, March 30, 2012

little by little

You may remember that some time back I created this drawing, above, as the publicitiy image for Buxton Festival's production of James and the Giant Peach.
Well, they kinda liked it and asked if I would do a series of illustrations that would become the back drop for the actual prodcution. I've never done anything like that before and I thought it would be cool to see my illustrations become something bigger, so to speak.
I thought it might be interesting to blog this process, starting these are the first rough sketches. At this point I am just mapping out the drawings.
I was a Roald Dahl freak when I was young. In fact, Danny Champion of the World is still in my top ten favourite books (maybe even top 5). I have a vague memory of reading James, but I've never seen the film. I did consider watching it but decided against it in the end. I don't really want to be influenced by anything else.
I shall watch it after the event. Which will be a nice way to end a project. I'll post all ten (!) of the drawings as I complete them.

Labels: , , , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Gina Sismilich said...

What fun - love the sketches. Will be great to follow the progress.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Gina Sismilich said...

What fun - love the sketches. Will be great to see how they progress.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Constantina Kalimeris said...

How exciting Andrea! So happy for you and loving the sketches so far. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the illustrations. Happy drawing!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Congratulations! It will be fun to watch your tiny drawings become enormous.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Janet White said...

I agree, this is going to be fun to watch. Congrats on the job!

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting the project, I think this will be a fantastic project for you. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress and pictures of the final, full sized backgrounds.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Big fan of Roald Dahl and looking forward to your sketches.

7:12 PM  
Anonymous dinahmow said...

Well done!
And I loved "Danny" too, although I didn't read it til I was doing school readings, just a few years ago! All those chickens in a pram!

7:33 PM  
Blogger T. Roger Thomas said...

I really like the look of these so far!

5:17 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Edwards said...

Can't wait to see them all...and I love seeing the process!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Kaitlyn S. C Hatch said...

I adore Roald Dahl and Danny, The Champion of the World was my favourite one too - although Matilda came in a close second.

I have to say, I didn't enjoy the film of the book. It was alright but had some key changes in the plot which seemed unnecessary to me. I'm a bit of a purist when books get turned into film though.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Lynne the Pencil said...

Really lovely sketches - particularly like the last one. Don't watch the film - you'll be completely unable to think for yourself if you do!!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Joan Y said...

Absolutely fantastic Andrea! i am so so so excited for you!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Miguel Herranz said...

Congratulations, I'm so glad!

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Alison said...

I've just read this with my children and your illustrations capture the mood of the book perfectly.

7:03 AM  
Blogger andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you all, guys.

What a response?! I'm always surprised by the things people respond too.

Kaitlyn, I think I remember the film but I never saw it. I won't anymore. I feel the same and I can't remember a film living up to a good book. Oh, apart from To Kill A Mockingbird (ther's always an exception). I do believe it was exactly what I saw in my head when I read it.

Thanks folks, the drawings will come up shortly.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.