Saturday, June 18, 2011

reminders of it all

When I found out that my work had been accepted to be exhibited at the Buxton Museum and Art Gallery I'd imagined that I'd have one of the gallery rooms. You know, the kind of thing, a nice clean white space. However, I'd been allocated the reception, or foyer, area of the museum.

And, of course, being a museum it has all sorts of objects and artifacts dotted around the place (including a very random Police motorbike that you can see above). When I went to check on the space I thought this was going to prove to be a problem.

But, over the last few weeks I've spent a lot of time at the space and now I couldn't be happier about the weird random room I am exhibiting in. In a funny kind of way my exhibition has become an extension of the Museum's collections.

The display case, above, features the work created for my woodland children's book, although you could be mistaken for thinking it was one of the Museum's natural history cabinets. I like that. I really like that. In fact, I think this was the perfect place for me to hold my first solo exhibition.


I went back there again, yesterday, to do a 'Meet the Artist' afternoon. And, I took these snaps. Unfortunately, there aren't any photos of the pictures on the walls. But that's what happens when you have your camera set at Macro. Again, I'm happy with these shots, with my drawings reflected in the glass of the cabinets.

One more thing, it got me thinking it would be good to do an 'Meet the Artist' session here on the blog. I'm always being asked questions about my work, and I feel really guilty about not replying to everyone, even though I have good intentions of doing so, I just do not get the time. So, what if we did it here? On say Monday? If there is anything you'd like to know about pens, or my technique, or my inspirations or ANYTHING then please come back and ask me.

So, that's a date. See you here on Monday.

15 comments:

T. Roger Thomas said...

I wish I could visit.

aichaku-愛着 said...

oooooo i think the display is just so awesome ... you are right, it looks like part of the museum's collection. CONGRATULATIONS on your solo exhibition!!!! wish i could have gone to the meet-the-artist session and also viiew the exhibition in person.

debra morris said...

Looks great Andrea, CONGRATULATIONS!!I wish I was visiting the UK this summer......I'm sending my Mum to check it out as she lives in the area.

Jill said...

Congratulations - looks like a fascinating display - wish I wsin the area.

Helen Ström said...

I would like to see your exposition too!! Congratulations anyway and the space look perfect for the atmosphere of your drawings. Happy for you! Greetings from Paris. Helen

MrCachet said...

FABULOUS! I'm about to try marbles, having lost them many years ago.

Unknown said...

I didn't realise you were exhibiting in Buxton! The little museum is a favourite of mine. I will make a trip over the moor to see your work next week. Can't wait!

Mariana said...

Wow congratulations. I think your spot is perfect. Wish I could take a "real life" peek at it.

Unknown said...

Congratulations; looks great, wish I was close enough to visit. The grouping of drawings and real objects looks fascinating.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you all, folks.

I wish you were all closer too!
Shelley, thanks. I do hope you enjoy it.

Cheers, my dears.

indy669 said...

Andrea I've seen your display in Buxton and was very impressed with the intricate detail on all of your drawings - here come the dreaded questions( ! )... How long does a drawing take you on average to do?
Are you a 'leave it and come back to it later' type of artist? Do you use rulers / templates? (how on EARTH did you manage to get such a perfect circle on the washing machine drawing?!!)

Debrina said...

Ohhhh....I wish I could be there! What a marvellous excuse though, to go the UK.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, ladies.

Lisa, I saw your message in the comment book. Thanks so much for visiting. I'll answer your questions in the Q&A thingy, but as for the washing machine well, I drew around a couple of my kitchen plates. Yeah, that's right, plates. Nothing techincal going on here!

Cheers, my dears.

Paul said...

Great to meet you in Buxton (we both live ca. 5 mins away) and thanks for the original drawing (mouse) on the envelope and the autograph in the booklet we bought.

I too thought you would be in an upstairs gallery and headed straight for them before I saw you out of the corner of my eye taking photos that we see in this post.

You say you were happy with it in the end but there is an exclusive gallery (room)on the ground floor as well as upstairs.

In the past I have seen a lot of complete garbage in these areas (to me these works could have done by a robotic paint spraying machine, an untrained monkey or anyone after 6 pints of Stella Artois). I remember saying something like that to you and then realised I was insulting a fellow artist!

Tough! I know what I like and don't like. They give space in that museum at times to utter rubbish. I know beauty is the eye of the beholder so a lot of folk need to go to Specsavers.

I always thought the police bike was a pain in the ass for anyone trying to view exhibits. What is the point of it?

Your creations are truely remarkable, not only in their depth and lifelikeness (new word) but also in the minute detail that affronts ones senses and the realisation that you have the vision to produce such gems.

Also great to see a gentleman buying one of your works whilst we were there (I assume so as a red dot was placed on one of your works -£300?). My partner Mandy said he visits the charity shop she works in so I assume he reckons it is a bargain!

And to think that I might have missed out on your work if I didn't buy the Buxton Advertiser that week.

We look forward to seeing and speaking to you again on August 5th for an update on your fame and fortune!

Pippa said...

Yippee! An actual proper exhibition! WOW!
I'm so looking forward to checking it out this Friday. Do you pop into the museum/gallery often? Don't know why I'm asking that in the comments section. I think I'll tweet you or something instead...