Wednesday, July 21, 2010

you're a rare rare find

Sir Wilfred Digby Jones McPickles

You know, I'd really love to have a dog. I would like a dog not for the companionship, or to get fit, I'd like a dog so that I could dress him up as a Victorian gentleman. Then I would get him to parade around the house with my cat, who would be dressed in crinolines. Just for my amusement. Until that time arrives I've drawn them.

The phrase 'what am I doing with my life?' comes to mind. Again.

Lady Flora Josephine Fossington Smythe

Actually, when I was away, a month or so ago, I was working on a book deadline. I'm not sure how much I can say about it yet, but as part of my research I found myself looking through lots of Victorian and Regency silhouettes. There are some stunningly beautiful examples, and I'd recommend doing a little research (Googling) yourself. I think you'll be inspired. I was. It's also how I'm trying to justify these two drawings.

17 comments:

Vicky L. Williamson said...

Absolutely LOVE the Scottish gentleman! But then, I am totally sold on Scottish Terriers. I miss mine a lot (my granddaughter asked me if she could keep him as her dog -- I'm such a pushover.)

suzanne cabrera said...

NO justification needed!!!!! These are SO EXCELLENT!

I just love them Andrea!

Makes me want to get started on a little family tree project Edgar and I've been dreaming about for Pokey and Reilly. I'll be sure to check out the silhouettes for inspiration!

Dawn said...

you are absolutely INCREDIBLE. I can NOT get enough! Do you use a ruler in your work, or is it just all free-hand? Because if so, I am so superbly amazed.

Judy said...

I also think that your work is absolutely INCREDIBLE and I can not get enough as well (well put Dawn)! Your work is soooo inspirational I truly love it - thank you so much for sharing your awesome talent!

Samarjit Roy said...

The Dog and the cat do make a b-e-a-utiful pair . :)

Carin Winkelman said...

LOL. I saw the picture of the cat on flickr and immediately had to think of my two black cats and what a torture it would be for them to be dressed up like that. I could just see there unhappy suffering faces. ;-)
The drawings are beautiful by the way.

kazumiwannabe said...

I can totally understand your idea to dress your animals, now that I've seen these drawings. The clothes suit them so well! Wonderful and fun drawings, thanks for the laugh!

Sarah Coggrave said...

Wow these are fabulous!

Sarah x

Pauline said...

Those are awesome! I love them! (And yes, having a dog is great, I torture..I mean.."dress" mine up all the time! LOL)

joseph's art and stuff said...

Once again you put a smile on my face!

lani said...

*smiles*

debra morris said...

Great work Andrea, good to have you back online

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you all guys.
YOU put the smile on my face.

Dawn, I did use a ruler for the frames. I ain't that good! Ha.

These drawings actually look so much better 'in the flesh'. The lines of the fur is much better, but that's what happens when you scan stuff, I guess.

Cheers, my dears.

E*phi said...

Caatje: I definitely know what a torture it would be for ME if I tried to put Kiwi ("our" cat) in a dress like that. :D

Andrea, I absolutely adore your pictures, I'm so glad this blog exists! <3

(Btw: I definitely share your liking of Victorian styles/silhouettes!)

Alissa said...

beautifully unusual and witty as per usual ! Fully justified

Angel said...

These are really great... I like drawing but I'm not half as good as you!

e said...

I love the image of the dog, absolutely brill!