Monday, October 29, 2007

"think i'll pack it in...

....and buy a pick-up, take it down to LA".

OK, so I know it's not a pick-up but there's a few of reasons why I had to use this title. I've been listening to Harvest by Neil Young all week. A classic album to go with this classic camper van. This is one of my all time favourite openings to a song. Actually, not only is it the opening to the song but to the whole album. I hear those words and get tingles. In my life I've always felt this way. Like packing it all in, buying a pick-up and heading for the refuge of the roads. I've never been able to shake that feeling off.

I'm going away for a few days too, so actually I am taking to the road (I'm not going to LA though). Don't know if' I'll get a chance to post much this week but hopefully I'll get some drawing done.

Finally, a few weeks ago an old friend found me through the powers of the internet. We'd lost touch and not seen each other for about 10 years. I told her that I wasn't the old hippy she known back then, I'd really changed. Hmmm. She didn't believe a word of it and after this post I think she may be right.

Ooops, I haven't quite finished yet! It's a bit of a rubbishy drawing but it's my first vehicle. Inspired by France Belleville (I wasn't brave enough to do a side view - it's the wheels that scare me off drawing cars) who coincidentally made this post yesterday; Neil.
Cheers everyone, see you when I get back to town.

13 comments:

Jason Das said...

One of my favorite songs, too! (But, no, that's really not a pickup.) I think I missed my chance to get tickets for Neil's upcoming shows here, too. Nuts. Have a good trip!

wagonized said...

Whoa, what a coincidence about Harvest. One of my earliest memories of music. Out On The Weekend has a great beginning (everything lies right there, in "THINK I'LL PACK IT IN "... Because well, maybe not.)
I love your interpretation of the Volkswagen van. Gosh I want to see more of those.

Elizabeth A Patterson said...

That's a nice portrait! I always liked the "face" these old VW's have. My husband and I actually owned one just like this in 1973 or so. ("Harvest" was a pretty new album at the time... we probably had the cassette tape:) ) What I remember most about the van was that it had cute curtains, and it was absolutely FREEZING in the winter.

Well, thanks for the trip down memory lane!

suzanne cabrera said...

I LOVE this drawing. VW vans already have so much personality, but you've added more! I wish you had some merchandise to put this image on and sell!

K said...

She's a cute one!

Linda O'Neill said...

Love your VW van. You've even given it a personality!

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Lovely drawing, and we have had two Volkswagons in Fiji - J717 and D125, just the little beetle.
You an old hippie! I don't believe it with your care for detail!
w.

computerarte said...

have a great trip:)
Marilia.

sukipoet said...

Wow. I just quickly scrolled thru your recent blogposts. What a marvelous drawing talent you have. I love them all. I esp love the little elf guy. And you live in Wales. I must say I have some kind of longing to see Wales. Not sure why. I always love it when I find welsh writers to read. Also there was some abstract american painter in the 60's or 70's I think, who went to Wales on a regular basis to paint glorious painting but I can't remember his name--not well known here anyway.

PBJ said...

Absolutely agree about that song. Makes you want to hit that open road. Great drawing.

andrea said...

Love those old VW buses and I'm with you about Neil and Lynyrd Skynyrd! Another super sketch.

Gretel said...

Ah, Neil Young, one never grows out of Neil Young, in fact, I think one grows into him...
Have missed coming here and seeing your scrummyly well drawn pictures.

Anonymous said...

My heart skipped a beat when I saw your lovely, affectionate drawing. I owned one just like this - split screen, little rear window, red and white. Bought it before I knew how to drive it! Crept illicitly around the neighbourhood in the dead of night in first and second gear for a while before passing my test and then filling it with wife + kids and taking off into the blue yonder....N Young on tape.