Wednesday, September 20, 2017

cat studies

 Recently I've got into the habit of doing a little sketch before bed. I've always been a late night creative, I cannot go to bed if I haven't drawn at least a little something or other. But a theme has emerged, as it so often does.
 I have a little sketchbook that I'd sort of given the theme 'cats and dogs', but, as usual, I'd only filled in a few pages. Then, So I dug it out again and began doing a little drawing of my old cat each night. I wanted to do something that was 'live' (not that you'd notice) instead of still life. I've done more than enough still life, from around my house, in my time.
The old girl is really getting on now (by that I mean she is ancient) and does little but sleep. I wish I'd started this earlier.
 There was a time, back in 2009, when I drew her 100 times in just a couple of days (you can see the results of that project HERE) but since then haven't really taken the time to draw her. Until now.
 So, here she is taking a well earned rest after a gruelling grooming session.
 And, her being annoyed about me putting a sketchbook and camera in her face.
 I've also been playing around with collage, just for shits and giggles, recently. So here she is sleeping in collage.
I love those feet.

And, if you did follow the link to the project I did when she was a lot younger, it turns out that here daily routine wasn't that much different back then. 

3 comments:

Jennifer McLean said...

It'll be cool to have both when she was young and now that she's old. What a great memory book. Hopefully you still have years to keep drawing her beautiful black fur.

dinahmow said...

Oh! I remember some of those earlier sketches.
We're down to one now and she'll be 10 next week.(Feels strange to be a one-cat house)

laura said...

These are just great! I love them all.