Friday, February 10, 2017

these dreams of you

A little while ago I signed up to a Creative Writing class. It was a course about creating short stories.
The reason I took the course was to give me a push with a graphic novel that I've had hanging around, in various sketchbooks, for a few years. Also I was really interested in learning some of the tools for building stories as I felt they could be transferred to the graphic novel. The same rules must apply, right?
Plus, I wanted a new challenge.
Well, it was all that and more. I have loved every minute of it. In fact, I've become a little obsessed. I can't stop writing and the main character, from my graphic novel, has been following me around wherever I go. I've been thinking about her in almost everything I do and wondering whether she would do the same thing, spend time with the same people, like my favourite coffee shop (she would).
Now I'm finding that I have to divide my time, not just between myself and her, but also between writing and drawing. All of those times when I'd normally take the opportunity to sketch are now writing opportunities too. My graphic novel originally, in my head, had been all pictures. No words. But, after the course I've changed my mind and I want to get some text in there somehow. I want her voice to be heard. I'm sure I can manage that. See above.
I like to think that this is the push I needed. One way or another I will have to finish this book. Because, whilst I love Marci, I want my own life back!

7 comments:

dinahmow said...

I'm sure you can, too.Good luck!

The Makarovs said...

Lovely to read your blog, Andrea and hear how your character has got under your skin-they can do that! I can't wait to see the finished book. Emma

paula.jarvis said...

Nice path you're on; happy for you.

Jennifer McLean said...

this sounds so spectacular Andrea. When I read about your graphic novel and the class you took, I actually thought you could become the next JK Rowling. I mean it, you, with your beautiful fonts and writing and also your incredibly detailed artwork could seriously create a new genre in art-novels. Like a whole new category. I can just see people collecting your books as art and story. I can't wait to continue following your journey, it's such an inspiration to see you finding your niche and growing your talent. It inspires me in so many ways.

Unknown said...

So why not combine the two? Clearly you have (lots of) images in your head for this story, so illustrate it - wildly, excessively ... as you want to?

Sounds like a fair compromise - a new genre?

Especially with the quality of your sketches.

Debrina said...

Oh my goodness! This is so exciting Andrea! As a librarian who also purchases graphic novels for our large G/N collection, I want you to hurry up and get published!!!

ao said...

Those drawings are amazing! I'm sure the writings too. Yes, you have to finish this book so we can read it!!!