Friday, June 10, 2016

the creative space

So here I am sat in my studio/workroom/office typing this. While I appreciate that may not be big news to you, it is to me. It's huge. Its profound, intense, overwhelming, fervent, ardent (yes, I'm just copying out of the thesaurus now). But it is BIG.
This is the first time ever that I have had a space designated to my work. Up until now I've balanced sketchbooks, laptops and Etsy orders on my knee on the settee or amongst printers, guillotines and plates on the kitchen table. But one of the benefits of holding an Open Studios (in my case open house) exhibition, which I did last week, is that it forces you to focus and get things in order.
That's been one of my problems since going self employed (well, since, always) is keeping focus. It's one of those things I didn't think about beforehand, but now that I have all the time to give to my art and to my business, how best should I use it? And, I'll be honest, the first year and half, of going freelance, has been trying to adjust to that and it hasn't been an easy thing.
My mind is always so FULL of stuff. It never switches off. Ever. It's just full of creative ideas, millions of them. I find being organised really really difficult. The ideas seem to get in the way of getting things done. But now I'm self employed I NEED to get things done because I need to make a living.
So, this is why actually making a room/space for my work has been so massive. I'm hoping it's going to help with how I manage my time and my business. I hope. And, I'm open too, and appreciative of, any other suggestions that may help me focus on the task at hand rather than the million little ideas knocking at the door wanting to take up my time.
Now, back to work.

14 comments:

harry bell said...

I do sympathise: my mind is forever filling with new ideas and, well, STUFF. I found this book a great resource (even though the author has moved on to a more refined method).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tomorrow-Other-Secrets-Time-Management/dp/0340909129/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Anonymous said...

Your new space is so fresh, so exciting!! But, if all goes well, it will soon be an absolute disaster filled with excellent projects - I wish I had discovered this tip earlier, but when I have a totally, happily chaotic-ish mess, I spend $50 for an arty friend to come over and do the heavy cleaning while I organize and re-group stuff. It is then bright and clean again 10 times (maybe 50 times) faster than I would do it, and it is a joy again! Seriously, why didn't I know this 20 years ago??
I can't wait for what comes out of it... hopefully an online lettering course :)

Joan Y said...

I am so excited for you! It's a beautiful, organized, creative space!

Justin said...

These ideas likely aren’t new, but a visual place (such as the chalkboard by your drafting table) where you can clearly list your current projects in order of importance would probably help to remind you what needs to get done.

I’d pair that with a pocket notebook where you can quickly jot down your ideas as they come up. A bullet point, a quick sentence, or a sloppy sketch of an idea could give you the confidence that you won’t lose these ideas if you can’t act on them immediately, allowing you to better keep focus and review those new ideas later.

Congratulations on building a dedicated space for your work.

Unknown said...

Looks wonderful Andrea, congratulations!
- Leith in Oz

Unknown said...

Looks a lovely space to work in!

Melissa said...

Hooray for you! Beautiful studio! It really shows off your incredible work ....

Giddings Art said...

Your new studio space is wonderful! I too, have so many creative ideas swimming around in my brain, that I have trouble focusing on one thing and getting it done. I hope your new studio/workroom/office helps in managing your time and keeping you focused.

Madelinee said...

What a magical place Andrea!!! Love it, thanks for sharing:)

Unknown said...

Your studio is amazing! I definitely need a creative space like this.

Becky said...

I LOVE your studio! I love seeing so many sketchbooks all lined up, and your beautiful drafting table, and your gallery wall. So beautiful and inspiring. I just love seeing people's studios - for some reason it inspires me more than seeing actual art sometimes!

Anonymous said...

Your work is wonderful. Please, keep posting!
Juan.

Unknown said...

A planner. Honestly I'd be lost without mine. At least that way when you're procrastinating you can pick something productive to do from one of your lists.
Try bullet journaling, it's simple and creative and would help you throw Ides onto a page while also making art to chill out to, rather than just making a living.

Tanja Madsen said...

What a gorgeous, creative haven you have made for yourself! Just looking at these pictures makes me want to quit my day job and work hard to make a living as an artist!

I use digital tools to jot down tasks and creative ideas that interrupt what I am presently supposed to be working on. It helps me to stay focused. Now that sounded like I have taken control of all distractions, haha, but it is not so, not yet. (I am supposed to be writing on my own blog right now!)

I just read that when we get distracted from something we're doing, it takes our minds about 20 freakin MINUTES to get back into "the zone". God help us all.