Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Red Case

Wow what a ridiculously long time between blogs. Possibly the longest yet. I don't know what to do to fix it; this (non) blogging issue, that is. I don't know why it seems so hard to do. I'm drawing all the time. And have all sorts of projects on. But just never seem to get around to blogging about them.
 
But, I'm here now, and here's one such project that's been occupying my time and mind. It's a drawing session/class/event that I've been running at a local studios. Once a month I arrange for a great model to pose in various scenarios for a group of sketchers. The difference between this and a (clothed) life drawing session is that there is a story, a narrative, running through the sessions and is passed on from model to model via
A RED CASE.
We started in session, or chapter, one with a show girl...
(drawing by Steve King)
...who held a dark secret...
...no matter what she did...
(drawing by me)
...to try to forget...
...it was always there, so one night...
 Drawing by Kate Yorke
 ...after too much to drink, she wrote a letter...
 ...asking the only person she trusted...
...to pick up the red case...
(drawing by me)
...which she did...
(drawing by Paul Gent)
 ...and now she carried the burden...
...and now, no matter what she did...
 (drawing by me)
...to try to forget...
...or who she talked to...
 (drawing by Kate Yorke)
...she too now held the secret...
 (drawing by me)
...so she decided to dispose of the case...
(drawing by Lynne McPeake)
...but...
(drawing by Karrie Brown)
...she was caught in the act...
(drawing by Kate Yorke)
...and she was marched off to jail...
 ...which all proved too much for her mother...
...but her cousin was there to pick up the pieces, and the inheritance, including the red case.
It would be his undoing.
 
You can see where the story goes here;
 
Photography by Rod Walton
Showgirl played by Pinky DeVille
Edith played by Miriam Gent
Hector played by Mike Cross
#TheRedCase
 
Fancy joining my class? Get in touch.
 

7 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

Loooove your story telling and the sketches. This cheered me early this morning! Know what you mean about blogging, I am trying to spend less time on tinternet and more time living my life outside it. Keep up the brilliant work

CHRIS MURRAY said...

this looks so ridiculously fun. Great drawings by all! Love seeing your posts here and on Instagram.

Unknown said...

WOWOWOWOW. Great story. AJ at her best1

Susan said...

Welcome back! Love your loose sketching style and your stories!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you, guys. I'm just loving this whole project. I started it to try and get this graphic novel, that's been in my head, and sketchbook, down on paper. But in reality, I don't have that much time to sketch what's going on. I'm always setting up scenes, and timing poses, etc. I quickly realised though, that that wasn't all I'd get out of it. It's a different way of exercising my creativity and sharing it with others. I love surprising the sketchers with the story and other surprises that happen. I wish more of you guys could experience it! Thanks, all.

Achat bien said...

beautiful Article

Unknown said...

Absolutely love this story! It's great to get lost in art for a couple of hours each month! Gets my mind buzzing trying to work out the story :)