Wednesday, February 16, 2011

where sleeplessness awaits

So I started this drawing about two or three weeks ago but unfortunately it's going to have to be put on the back burner for the next few days as a new, more pressing deadline has emerged from nowhere.

This is one of the most ambitious drawings that I've undertaken yet. It's on A3 paper which is double the size I normally use. Plus it's full colour. Thus far it has taken approximately 20 hours.

Anyway, I thought I'd take this opportunity to show you how I make these big mad drawings as it is a question I'm asked often. In the past I've been asked if I set up the compositions or whether I draw from a photo. The answer to both of those questions is no. I almost always draw from life.

What I do do is start with a couple objects (in this case the tram ticket, the Mary and baby Jesus and the seahorse) and then add the rest around them. I place the other objects on the paper, mapping it out piece by piece. It's almost as though the composition works itself out. I love drawings like this. I love the way they reveal themselves to me, the way they unfold in front of my eyes.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger tricky said...

it's really interesting to see how your drawings emerge from paper ... they're so good, almost unreal, and witnessing those phases makes them look even more remarkable

4:56 AM  
Blogger jill said...

thanks for showing us, your drawing is unique to you, it must be lovely and truly seems like a gift

8:47 AM  
Blogger the GyPsY said...

Wow, it's like your fingers have the touch of life and everything becomes real slowly on a sheet of white paper.. beautiful and amazing talent and patience!!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Ajax said...

Yesterday, I was sketching out some ideas for jewelry I want to make and thinking about your work. You have SO much patience!

2:41 PM  
Blogger kateri ewing said...

It's silly how excited I get when I see a new post on your blog. Simply amazing...and so inspiring, the hours you have put in to your craft. Can't wait to see it finished.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Judy Grupp Studio said...

unbelievable - can't wait to see the finished piece!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Toyin O. said...

Very beautiful drawing, you are very talented, thanks for sharing.

11:42 PM  
Blogger harem6 said...

Love your style!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Joan Y said...

Your precision is just astounding Andrea! I can't wait to see how this one evolves! Nice job. Peace!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Lei said...

I always love your work. The attention to detail is amazing. :)

7:35 AM  
Blogger adebanji said...

These are just simply amazing and well detailed too!

8:49 AM  
Blogger A Swedish Gal said...

You are amazingly talented. Just found your blog. I'm so glad I did.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Your drawings are so amazing they make my brain hurt. Never ever ever stop!

5:49 PM  
Blogger PhotogeniqueGirl said...

i think i just had an eyegasm, if that is quite possible. this is wonderful! i find it hard to believe that this is not a photograph, and that you actually drew in each tiny detail! i especially like the red flags :)

4:56 AM  
Blogger andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you guys.

Photogenique girl, teehee. 'Eyegasm'? That's fabulous. I'm storing that for future reference.

Cheers, guys. Some new stuff on the way. Promise.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.