Sunday, September 12, 2010

i'm going to take you to my secret place

Over the weekend I've been throwing myself back into one of my Moleskines. The travel one, to be precise. It feels like I've been away from my Moleskines for too long a time. And, it would be so satisfying to complete another one of these books.

It's really good to be working in them again. I think this is my favourite place to be. In a sketchbook. And, whilst I diving back into them I noticed something that I hadn't noticed before. It seems, that my Moleskines hold a lot of secrets so, before I post the new drawings, I thought I'd let you into a couple of them.

When I started the travel Moleskine the drawing, above, was the first thing I did. It was the drawing from the inner cover. But as I started to work through the rest of the sketchbook this drawing started bugging me. And I can't live with that kind of thing. I don't know what annoyed me about it the most - I think it might be that it is very pink, and a little too feminine for my tastes. So after an appeal, to you guys, for stamps from around the world it was covered until it became the collage that you can see below. Which, to this day, is still one of my own personal favourite sketchbook spreads.

I do love to know that these lost drawings exist, though. Like when you peel off the wallpaper, in an old house, and find the ghosts of wallpapers past.

Another of the secrets, the travel Moley holds, is that hidden in the drawing, below, is a tiny little cat. Can you spot it?

And, finally, while I was flicking through the book, getting myself all worked up to start drawing in it again, I found this little apparition below. I'd not noticed it before. It seems my sketchbooks hold secrets from me too.

Anyway, from tomorrow some brand new drawings from the travel Moleskine. You can see the rest of the drawings from this book HERE. And, to celebrate my return to this sketchbook I'll also put a sale on the little zines that were produced from this Moleskine. Hope you come back.

19 comments:

cArLa said...

this is so inspiring... i love what you did to your travel moleskin! have a great week ahead!

Unknown said...

Couldn't make it to the end of the post without pausing and firing up 'Gaudi' by The Alan Parsons Project. :)

Dawn said...

I found the kitty!!!! I would LOVE one of your 'zines...maybe i will be able to afford it if there is a sale :) Great stuff, as always.

Sofia said...

I simply love your drawings and you style, thank you.

Stephen Hall said...

Gorgeous drawings... as always :-) x

BARBARA WEEKS said...

Wonderful as always!

Sewmancer said...

I love, love, love your Casa Batllo. I was blown away by Barcelona on a visit with a friend a few years ago and returned this year with my mother mostly to revisit Casa Batllo. (We also managed to catch the world cup final too!)

Peter Fong said...

I absolutely love your molebook drawings! So talented and inspiring :) More please!

peterpatterpeter.blogspot.com

kveten said...

GAUDI )))
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Barcelona/453048

Anonymous said...

Your drawings are truly amazing! Beautiful and uplifting. I am in awe!

Madeleine
http://scribbleandedit.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

You inspire me! Awesome artwork!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you all.

I know I've said it before, but I really do mean it. You make my day.

Cheers, my dears.

Dean Grey said...

Oh gawd!

This is going to drive me crazy now.

I saw the Hello Kitty stamp in the stamp collage but don't see a cat in the illustration below it.

Where is it?!

-Dean

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Dean, all I'm saying is that it's in one of the windows! Thanks for your kind comments.

Cheers.

Jane Doe said...

This is amazing!
I love Barcelona, but I never actually liked Gaudí's houses, nor the church. Or the park.. But you make them looks so much more like.. Like something I want to keep looking at. The 'La Sagrada Family' is my favorite. It's just the way it looks exactly like it, but still so much more.. Exciting, I guess. :)

Lova said...

Really super inspiring.
I really love them.

Dan said...

Are the matches in the back drawn on and if they are what did you use they look great.

Dan

Unknown said...

Very cool idea! Thanks for posting this.
Really its amazing information about Pen Ballpoint
Awesome job !!! well done keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Nice picture. Hope you get some kinds of inspiration and perhaps give you some kinds of Happy moments in Life.Keep up the good work!
http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=ap1016